Wednesday, January 04, 2006

quilt idea percolating

The current idea is a bargello quilt, with an island dotted with fussy-cut stars. The island is a mottled white fabric. Fabrics north of the island are 6 yellow, orange, and red fabrics, from v dark red calico to white with orange and purple thread-like squiggles. Includes a neon-bright yellow/red floral batik, a v pretty pink/sage/cream/white v busy rose floral, and a mottled pink/yellow. Fabrics south of the island are 6 green/tan/blue fabrics, from v dark blue batik with dime-sized golden blobs to an art deco pale pink poppy floral, with blue-sage leaves and off-white bkdg. Includes a gorgeous cobalt, turquoise, nile green, and goldy tan print of, of all things, grasshoppers, butterflies, moths, scorpions, leaves, and wheat ears; a blue/orange v busy butterfly print; and a v ugly acid green & acid pink batik. Truly blech but if I leave it out the fabric sequence is seriously blah. So it's in. Just don't ask me to wear it.

Stranded in the island will be, I hope, fussy-cut stars. At least one will overlap onto the border somewhere. All the conventionally patterned fabrics would make interesting f-c stars, esp the bug fabric focussing on the wheat ears.

The whole package sounds like it'll have a lot of zing, but if I use pastels for the f-c stars, it'll be more restful. The f-c stars will pull most of the attention away from the brighter fabrics.

The border's a problem. Bargello's a busy pattern, f-c stars ditto, but I do not want to slap some strips around it and call it done. Ricky Tim's style (Convergence whatsit) looks like a possibility, but I don't want to buy his book to find out how he does it and then create my own version. (No money.) Also whatever I choose should, at this stage, go nicely with f-c stars crossing the boundary btw the medallion and the border. And if I go f-c crazy, the border should be compatible with more f-c stars scattered here & there.

Today's title for this quilt is "Doppler Shift," which should be obvious, but not as obvious as "Milky Way," which I blush to admit I considered for all of about 18 seconds.

And -- I'll get started on it right away! I mean, as soon as the quilt back for "Refractions" is done, and I've got exchange blocks to make, not to mention laying a sidewalk and feeding the cats. Oh, and work, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home