Friday, April 14, 2006

serendipity

Yes, the newest quilt is still called "Serendipity"! The medallion, the part that lies on top of the bed, is completed, and it's a wonder how the two streamers, one mostly blue and the other red & orange, swoop around each other on it. I did draw it on graph paper, but seeing it in pencil with "red" written in one space and "blue" on another gives no real indication how it'll look with the actual fabrics. It's really extraordinarily cheerful, so the name is good.

I've now designed and started to make the borders, the part that hangs down the sides. I like to make the corners fancy; even my very first quilt, which has plain slabs of fabric for the borders, has little squares marching diagonally across the corners. What I'm putting together now for each corner is a fussy-cut star, edged with some other fabric, itself edged with the very pastel mottled fabric that on my graph paper I've labeled "white", and then the 12" square finished off with more of that other fabric. It looks like the f-c star has a white halo on it. My f-c stars are stitched all together, and now I'm adding the background fabric, squares and triangles, to square the blocks. It looks really cool.

The head of the bed, I don't put much of a border on it -- if I did it'd only get tucked down between the mattress and the headboard, if I had a headboard, or the wall, which is my current situation. So instead of working hard on something creative that won't be seen, I don't make a border at all. Well, just a little one, the bit I grab onto and pull when the quilt slides down at the foot, and what Pixie noses at when she wants to nap under the quilt just like her mom. What this has to do with the corners is, there isn't a corner to put a haloed star on! OTOH, I don't want the border to just run on and then stop, as if I'd run out of ideas! Heaven forbid anyone get that impression! So at the head of the bed, the border will start (or end) with a half a f-c star, with a halo. Between the two corners, on the 3 sides, I plan to scatter 1/2 f-c stars, without haloes, against the top or bottom edge, and between the f-c stars, a colorwash streak, really, in a curved flow. I've picked out 22 fabrics, including the 12 "colored" fabrics of the top, for the borders. I expect it'll look very nice, too, and a little heavier than the medallion, which seems appropriate to me as the borders' job is to anchor the medallion. The whole border will be about 15" wide, maybe 4" wide on the head end.

Meanwhile, outdoors it feels like someone is running a mondo enormous hair dryer -- hot, windy, and dry. Yesterday's high, 92, broke a record for 4/13 of 88 degrees that stood since 1935 or something ridiculous like that. The daffs are shriveling. I've mowed my front yard 2ce and back yard once, and run the sprinkler on the front 2ce already. I've ordered a Cladrastis and a witch hazel for the front yard, to be planted on Mother's Day weekend, but I have to keep watering if I'm to be able to get a spade in the ground at all by then. And it's way time for me to start the tomato seeds! They predict rain for tomorrow night, just when people are going to Easter Vigil services, but really if any is to hit the ground the air has to get a lot more humid. At this rate no one will need umbrellas tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home