Tuesday, June 20, 2006

gaude, gaude

Well, today the quilt "Serendipity" is renamed to "Gaude, Gaude". I just cannot resist a pun, and whenever I describe the border to someone that's what I call it. May as well make it official! The border, btw, is colorwash, mostly red - orange - yellow - tan - cobalt - magenta - pink - mint. Actually much more attractive than the color list makes it sound. The darkest of the 28 fabrics curve in a vertical wave from edge to edge, and at the extremes I've inserted half-stars, fussy-cut. 8 2" squares will make a 12" border. I'll have some plain slabs outside the colorwash to frame it.

The butter daisies are drama queens: every day it's either "I'm dieing of thirst!" or "I'm drowning!" I'm going to plant lantanas in their place. This is a major change for me: I first saw lantana growing as the perennial it is in Sta. Barbara, CA, and ever since I left hardiness zones 8+ it has just seared my soul that they're too tender in the colder areas. Well. Now it's also seared my pocketbook. I may have to dig them up and try to overwinter them indoors.

Meanwhile, my first daylily has popped a bud; today there were two blossoms glowing a pastel terracotta and yellow. I have others, all different colors, but the first one is magic -- as all the first blossoms are. My tomatoes have laboriously squeezed out a single button that may become a fruit if the squirrels leave it alone. I've already eaten some of my chard, the victims of the first thinning. In addition to the lantanas I have baggies full of daylilies and irises, from the garden of a friend who wanted to thin out her plants a little. If it weren't so dang hot I'd transplant them tonight. But they'll keep for a little while. The rabbits and squirrels have gotten out of the habit of munching on the baby Cladrastis, so unless it gets buried in ice this winter it looks like it'll live. Gaude, gaude indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home